San Luis Obispo COVID-19 Travel Information
We are excited to share that we are open for business in alignment with the state of California! Please find details below related to masks, event guidelines and more. The City of San Luis Obispo considers the health and safety of our residents and visitors our highest priority, especially during these times.
State and Local Status of COVID-19
As of June 15, 2021, the California Department of Public Health has re-opened the state. Everyday life in SLO feels a lot like before COVID-19. Restaurants, shopping, theaters, and most everyday places are open as normal with no capacity limits or social distancing required.
Masks are required for fully vaccinated individuals as well as unvaccinated individuals in all indoor public settings.
- Cloth face coverings and masks must cover the nose and mouth and be snuggly fitted.
- There are exceptions for persons under the age of 2 and individuals with specific physical and mental health conditions.
- Visitors are strongly recommended to receive a COVID-19 vaccination before visiting San Luis Obispo for their own safety and the wellbeing of those they come into contact with.
- The County does not have any currently active mandatory physical distancing, or capacity limitation orders for non-“mega-events”.
For additional information, individuals should refer to CDC Recommendations for Safer Activities (see CDPH Masking Guidance Frequently Asked Questions for more information).
To view public health information for San Luis Obispo County, click here.
Health & Safety
Our commitment to the health of our visitors and community never wavers. Our lodging properties and local businesses are dedicated to following the Open & Safe guidelines. When visiting San Luis Obispo, you may notice that businesses are adding additional safety measures to protect their staff and their customers. We know these simple precautions help keep us all safe and healthy. Please be mindful and compliant with their specific safety guidelines. Examples may include:
- Request the use of hand sanitizer
- Limited number of guests or customers admitted
- People in California must wear face coverings outside the home. For details on the California Public Health Official’s guidance, please click here.
And remember, please stay home if you are sick. We promise to still be here when you are healthy again.
If you have any questions or need assistance in planning your visit, please call us at 1-877-SLO-TOWN.
Events are returning to San Luis Obispo! California does have specific guidelines around larger events or “mega events” that you should be aware of—think concerts, sporting events, festivals, and conventions with 1,000+ people. Mega events are high risk for spreading COVID-19 because they attract people from around the world, and people gather in crowds. Indoor mega event attendees will be required to confirm proof of vaccination or negative COVID-19 status to attend. Outdoor mega event attendees will be strongly encouraged to do so.
To learn more about the impact of COVID-19 across San Luis Obispo County, you can visit ReadySLO.org for current updates.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: cdc.gov/coronavirus
U.S. Travel Association: ustravel.org-covid-19
California Department of Public Health: cdph.ca.gov
San Luis Obispo County Health Agency: slocounty.ca.gov