WELCOME TO CAL POLY, SAN LUIS OBISPO
If you have an incoming Cal Poly student or a student interested in applying to Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, you won’t want to miss some important events and exciting activities. To learn more about the following events, download the “Cal Poly Now” mobile app for iOS and Android today.
- Applications are accepted from October 1st to November 30th through Cal State Apply.
- The Cal Poly SLO Annual Open House is a three-day event, April 16-18, 2020 that showcases the campus to admitted and prospective students, families, alumni, and the San Luis Obispo community. This event includes an array of activities including informational sessions, the annual Cal Poly Rodeo, a campus showcase featuring over 250 clubs and organizations, as well as mixers with current Cal Poly students where incoming students can ask questions and get a sense of the campus culture.
- Cal Poly’s Student Life Orientation Days, otherwise known as “SLO Days,” are for all incoming students, families, and supporters, and takes place throughout the summer before enrollment. From July to August, students can experience life on campus through this fun two-day overnight event. With sessions for freshman, transfers and international students, this is a great way to excite and prepare you and your student to become members of the Mustang family. For those unable to attend summer sessions, a special September SLO Days will be held on September 13-14, 2019 ensuring you’ll still have the chance to prepare for the upcoming year.
- Cal Poly SLO’s Week of Welcome, commonly known as “WOW,” is an exhilarating 8-day orientation starting on September 15, 2019. Your student will meet and make new friends, learn about the Cal Poly experience, and participate in group activities both on and off-campus creating lasting connections with their peers and new home.
- Cal Poly Family Weekend takes place October 27-27, 2019, and provide an opportunity to discover how your student has made Cal Poly their home! At Mustang Family Weekend, you and your family will explore campus through interactive tours and hikes, engage in Learn by Doing lectures and labs led by esteemed faculty, enjoy receptions, live music, and fun activities for the whole family, and attend athletic and performing arts events throughout the weekend.
EXPERIENCE SAN LUIS OBISPO
Although your student will be the one living on the Central Coast, you should also take advantage of all the beauty and adventure San Luis Obispo has to offer. Explore the hidden gems of Cal Poly’s campus including the Leaning Pine Arboretum, the Architecture Graveyard, the new Equine Center and the Shakespeare Press Museum. If you’re in search of a great family photo op, hike up to the “P” above campus for a gorgeous view of the SLO skyline. Cal Poly parents, supporters, and alumni can also enjoy special rates and discounts at several hotels throughout San Luis Obispo, making a visit to see your Mustang that much sweeter.
As an added bonus, SLO is sunny and 75 nearly all year round! Hit the beaches for a paddleboarding excursion or soak up the sun while hiking one of San Luis Obispo’s many trails. To truly get the feel of the greater San Luis Obispo community, stroll through Downtown San Luis Obispo Farmers’ Market on a Thursday night and enjoy live music and local food. For some adult fun, explore San Luis Obispo’s extensive list of local wineries and breweries within 15 minutes of campus.
To find out more things to do in San Luis Obispo, check out our vacation ideas for Cal Poly SLO Parents.