Top 5 reasons why San Luis Obispo is so HAPPY
We’ve all heard (thanks to National Geographic and Oprah Winfrey) that San Luis Obispo is the happiest place in America. But, really, why is that? Is there something in the water that makes every resident feel a bit more contented than residents of other towns? Is it the way we treat each other? Is it the fact that we are surrounded by open spaces? Maybe. Here are a few reasons why we think San Luis Obispo (or SLO, to locals) is the happiest place in America.
- San Luis Obispo is social. It was meant to be a joke when actress Jenny McCarthy said it on the Oprah segment, but it is true. In San Luis Obispo our version of social media is being social! We love the outdoors, hanging out with friends, spending time downtown and of course, what else, happy hours.
- San Luis Obispo truly has farm to table lifestyle. There are four farmers markets in San Luis Obispo every week and one every day of the week throughout the county, so access to fresh foods is easy. Not to mention that SLO is home to some of the most amazing restaurants, world-class chefs and finest wines anywhere.
- San Luis Obispo is happily active. San Luis Obispo was recently cited as one of the most active cities in the nation. Many residents bike and walk to work every day. There are more than 6,500 acres of protected open space for hiking, biking and yearlong outdoor activities.
- San Luis Obispo supports the arts. Residents love their art – from performance art to the visual arts. San Luis Obispo is home to the Christopher Cohan Performing Arts Center, a state-of-the-art performance facility that exposes the Central Coast to varied, high quality arts events designed to serve diverse audience interests.
- San Luis Obispo weather is as pleasant as it gets. San Luis Obispo County has one of the world’s most comfortable climates. The weather is perfect 306 days of the year. While more than half of the country is trekking through snow, ice, sleet and rain this time of year, we’re enjoying perfect 75 degree weather without a cloud in the sky. Sure, it rains here, and we have our moments of unpleasant weather, but for most of the year, we enjoy beautiful sunny skies and a moderate climate. The summers here are delightfully mild, with daytime highs usually in the low 80s, and cool evenings. Winters are even better with daytime highs in the 60s and 70s, and crisp, clear nights. Frost is rare, snow almost unheard of. (A dusting of snow always makes the front page of the local paper.) This perfect weather allows us to be more social and active when residents of other cities in the nation are holed up inside.
To find out more about what makes San Luis Obispo the "Happiest place in America," browse the rest of this website, check out National Geographic's book THRIVE which touts San Luis Obispo as the happiest city or simply come visit San Luis Obispo and find out firsthand.
|And check out these great 'happy' clips too...|
Are You Happy? The Oprah Winfrey Show. Watch the video.
The Happiest Places in the World. Delta Sky Magazine. Read the article.
Lessons from Happy Town, U.S.A.
You'll Wish You Were Here. Parade Magazine. Read the article.
Finding the Happiest Place on Earth. ABC News. Watch the video.