Whether you’re drawn by the 300 days of sunshine, green hills and active outdoor lifestyle, or strong neighborhoods, excellent schools and a safe small-town community, San Luis Obispo is where people choose to live, raise a family and pursue their passions.
San Luis Obispo serves as the commercial, governmental and cultural hub of California’s Central Coast. People are drawn to SLO for many reasons –high quality of life, arts and culture, education, proximity to the beach and mountains.
Over the past several years, San Luis Obispo’s technology and innovation clusters along with traditionally strong industries such as design and construction, agriculture, tourism and health services have seen tremendous growth.
Each year San Luis Obispo is named to numerous lists touting the outstanding natural resources; beaches, hills, vineyards and warm weather, and while these may entice vacations, it’s the human resources; culture, neighborhoods, relaxed, laid-back atmosphere, buzzing downtown, stellar wine and food scene, and sincerely happy people, that invite them to stay.
Welcome to San Luis Obispo.
Quick facts about San Luis Obispo
- Downtown SLO is a humming, pedestrian friendly zone of shops, restaurants and galleries in turn-of-the-20th century buildings.
- Thursday Night Farmers’ Market brings a fiesta of produce, crafts, barbecue, street food and live entertainment to
- There are approximately 760 non-profits in San Luis Obispo that generate nearly $800 million in economic output each year.
- San Luis Obispo wine country lies five minutes south of downtown, putting two dozen premier wineries within easy reach.
- There are more than 25 miles of easily accessible trails in the city of San Luis Obispo.
- Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa, the fifth of California’s 21 Spanish missions, was founded in 1772.
- San Luis Obispo County has more than 80 miles of Pacific coastline.
- Hearst Castle, William Randolph Hearst’s elaborate Central Coast summer home, stands in solitary splendor 45 minutes to the north.
- In a typical year, San Luis Obispo sees 315 sunny days.
For more information, you can call the San Luis Obispo Visitor Center at (805) 781-2777, order a relocation packet here or check out these local resources: